Modifying/Deleting google drive files

oauthFlaw
This is a short write up of a bug in OAuth 2.0 implementation of Google API.

This bug could have allowed an application to delete/write on user’s any of the file(s) in google drive, although the user permitted the application to access only those files that were created by the application.

 For an instance, an application requiring access to files created by itself looks like:

According to google API documentation, after the user clicks allow, the app should only be able to access files that was opened/created using this app.

I went ahead and tried deleting a file that was in the user’s drive but wasn’t ever accessed/created by the application. Following is the request I sent to test this:

DELETE https://www.googleapis.com/drive/v2/files/fileId/permissions/permissionId
The response was 204 No content. I checked the file in my drive, the file was no longer there.
This meant any application that had drive.file permission(i.e the permission to see only those files that were created by the app itself) could have been abused to access private files of user. Not only this allowed an attacker to read all the files on your drive, but also an attacker could modify/delete those files.

This was reported to google security team and has been fixed as of now.

Jun 5, 2015 – Reported.
Jun 5, 2015 – Triaged.
Jun 11, 2015 – Additional details sent.
Jun 26, 2015 – Fix confirmation, 1337$ bounty awarded.

Update: After Google fixed this issue, I was able to bypass the fix again. The bypass involved getting ‘drive.readonly’ permission along with ‘drive.file’ permission. ‘drive.readonly’ permission made everything in the user’s Google drive visible to the application and ‘drive.file’ could still be used to delete/modify other files in user’s Google drive.

The bypass has also been fixed by Google security team.

Stored XSS on facebook and twitter!

blog1
I and my colleague Prakash were testing random stuffs to find a target that would be worth looking into. We found a new feature on Facebook which allows a user to visit the website of page-owner.The “Shop-now” feature looked interesting with different restrictions for different input fields.
The app-link field caught my eyes, because “deep-link” URL had particularly idiosyncratic example :

 

The field was sanitized for special characters like < , “, ‘ , > and didn’t allow any tags to enter. The output for such characters would be:

 

I thought of trying ()  . Surprisingly, they weren’t being sanitized, and of course : wouldn’t be filtered for sure because it would always be used in a URL. I still wasn’t sure if any javascript would be executed. I saved the details to test it out with the applink as javascript:alert(document.domain).

But then I realized I was only couple of clicks to see if the test was successful. In m.facebook.com, under the “shop now feature” was the script being stored. and then,

(Detailed exploit scenario is shown in video)

Script was straightforward inserted into “a href” tag and anyone clicking on the button link would be exploited.

Now, along with client side filtering, it doesn’t execute the script even if you managed to circumvent the client side protection in some way.

A very similar endpoint existed in twitter, too. You could define the action of a button click by yourself

 

but more on that later.

Both vulnerabilities have been patched by respective security teams.

Thanks for the read!